Alkmaar “Prachtstad” The city of splendor, has a monumental centre, surrounded by picturesque canals. There are courtyards, museums, good restaurants, including a wide choice of al fresco restaurants, entertainment venues, theatres, cinemas, two main shopping streets and side roads with unique authentic shops.
A splendid location close to the woods, dunes and beautiful sandy beaches.
Alkmaar is well known for its traditional cheese market which starts in April until September and is held every Friday morning from 10.00-13.00 hours
We recommend a canal tour by boat or a walk through the city.
There are extra shopping days on every Sunday and every Thursday there is late night shopping until 21.00 hours.
Alkmaar offers a wide variety of amenities that include cinemas, theatres, bicycle tracks, a skating rink, swimming pools etc., It is an ideal location close to all the important attractions of North Holland.
Some important places and events worth seeing in Alkmaar in 2022:
* Cheese market – every Friday morning during March until September from 10.00 till 13.00 h
* Shopping Nights, May, September, December
* Kaeskoppenstad – (the 16 century comes to life) – June
* Plus Wandel4daagse – (4 day walk) – June
* Lindegrachtconcert (Canal concert) – Tuesday evening 2x in July + 2x in August-can be visited by boat or you may take a foldable chair – from 20.30 h
* Bluesfestival September
* Fiets4daagse – (4 day bike) – July
* Alkmaars Ontzet (The Siege of Alkmaar) – 8 October